Pallotte cace e ove
This is a typical dish of the Abruzzese peasant cuisine. This simple but tasty dish is best served as a hot appetizer.
• 5 eggs
• 300g assorted cheese (parmesan, pecorino and other mature cheeses)
• 150g day-old white bread, crust removed
• Handful of parsley
• ½ garlic clove
• Pinch of pepper
• Oil for frying
For the sauce:
• 600g tomato passata
• 1 small onion
• 1 garlic clove
• Salt to taste
1. To make the pallotte, crumble the bread in a bowl.
2. Add the eggs, cheese, garlic, parsley and pepper. Mix well and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce: sauté the garlic and onion in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and allow to soften.
4. Add the tomato passata and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Season with salt and a few basil leaves. If the sauce is too thick, add some water.
6. In a large pan, heat abundant oil for frying.
7. Coat hands in oil and make the pallotte (ball shapes) with the mixture.
8. Fry the pallotte in hot oil until they are puffed and golden. Drain on paper towel.
9. Add the pallotte to the sauce and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Cover the pallotte in the sauce with a spoon.
10. Once some of the sauce has been absorbed, the pallotte are ready to be served.