• 2 large eggplants, sliced into rounds
• 1 cup mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
• 500g tomato passata
• 1/2 cup basil leaves
• 1 clove garlic, diced
• Olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees on grill.
2. Heat a saucepan on medium heat with some olive oil.
3. Saute the garlic for 30 seconds until fragrant.
4. Add the passata, a little extra water from rinsing the jar, and the basil.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes, then allow to cool.
6. Salt the eggplant, leaving for at least 30 minutes.
7. Rinse the eggplant and pat dry with paper towel.
8. Place the sliced eggplant onto a baking tray, brushing lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
9. Grill in the oven for 5-10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
10. To assemble the parmagiana, layer the base of a baking tray with eggplant slices, then a layer of sauce, then top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
11. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden.