This cake is a specialty of Milazzo, on the southern Italian island of Sicily. It’s quick and easy to make.
• 700g apples, peeled and diced
• 200g sugar
• 250g 00 flour
• 100g butter, melted
• 150g full cream milk
• 2 eggs
• Zest of 1 lemon, grated
• 30g lemon juice
• 16g baking powder
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• Pinch of salt
• Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a 22cm round cake pan.
2. Combine the apple and lemon juice.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
4. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and salt. Add the butter, cinnamon and lemon zest. Combine with an electric beater.
5. Gradually add the sifted flour and baking powder, then slowly pour in the milk.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 55 minutes.
7. Set aside to cool then dust with icing sugar.