Makes 110 biscuits.
• 5 eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 2 heaped tbsp custard powder
• Grated rind of 1 lemon
• 6 cups self-raising flour
• 2/3 cup milk
• 2/3 cup light olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C.
2. Beat 1 egg in a bowl and set aside. Place four eggs in a large bowl together with half of the beaten egg previously set aside. Add all the other ingredients and mix together until well combined.
3. Turn out onto a lightly-floured board or pastry sheet. Knead for a few minutes or until smooth.
4. Roll out into a large sausage shape about 50cm long. Cut into 9 sections and roll each section out approximately 25cm in length.
5. Gently press down on each section with the heel of the hand to flatten slightly.
6. Place onto 3 lightly-greased trays (3 sections per tray) and flatten again lightly with the heel of the hand. Brush with the remaining beaten egg.
7. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and cool for around 10 minutes.
8. Cut each section into 2cm-wide biscuits on a diagonal.
9. Reduce oven temperature to 140˚C. Turn the biscuits face up and put back in the oven for around 15 minutes or until lightly golden and slightly crisp.
10. Spread the biscuits out on a tea towel to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Serve with a cup of coffee.