• 500g prawns
• 500g calamari or squid
• 300g sardines
• 200g red mullet
• Durum or semolina flour
• Salt and pepper
• Vegetable, seed or nut oil, for frying
1. Gut, clean, rinse and pat dry all the seafood. Cut the calamari into rings and keep the tentacles aside.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan and bring temperature to 175°C.
3. Coat the seafood in the durum flour and shake off any excess.
4. Dip a few pieces of seafood in the oil at a time. Overloading the pan will result in a drop in oil temperature, and produce greasy food.
5. Fry to a golden colour (prawns and small fish will need about 2 minutes, calamari about 3 minutes). Use a skimmer to collect the fish and place onto paper towels to soak up excess oil.
6. Season with salt as soon as they are removed from the pan. Eat immediately!