• 1 kg eels
• 2 handfuls of bay leaves
• 4 garlic cloves
• 50g salt
• 100g pecorino cheese
• 100g parmesan cheese
1. Clean the eels (with salt or ash) leaving the skin on. Discard the head and innards. Cut the eels into 5 cm pieces.
2. Place all the ingredients (except the cheese) in a pot containing about 5 cm of water. Cook until the eels are just tender (not overcooked).
3. Sprinkle some grated pecorino and parmesan into a bowl.
4. Remove the pieces of eel from the pot using a slotted spoon and, without draining them completely, transfer enough to the bowl to make a single layer over the cheese. Sprinkle more cheese onto the eel and continue alternating layers of cheese and eel.
5. Serve this Sardinian dish warm.