For the gnocchi:
• 1 kg potatoes
• 300g flour
• 1 medium egg
For the sauce:
• 500g vongole (or clams)
• 500g mussels
• 1 bunch of parsley
• 50g pine nuts
• 6-8 cherry tomatoes, chopped
• 30g rocket
• 2 garlic cloves, 1 whole, 1 crushed
• Extra virgin olive oil
1. To make the gnocchi, fill a saucepan with cold water and boil the potatoes.
2. Peel the potatoes while they’re still hot and mash them over a floured surface.
3. Add the egg and a pinch of salt. Work the ingredients with your hands until they become a soft dough. Don’t work the dough too much or the gnocchi will become hard.
4. Take a piece of dough at a time and roll it with the tips of your fingers to create 2 cm-wide strips. Cut each strip into small pieces of gnocchi and use a fork to give them their classic shape. Set aside to rest.
5. Meanwhile, heat some oil in a large pan and add the parsley and a whole garlic clove.
6. After several minutes, add the clams and mussels. Cover the pan and cook until the shells open.
7. When all of the shells are open, remove from the pan and filter the broth through a sieve.
8. Remove the flesh from most of the shellfish, leaving some in their shells for serving.
9. Toast the pine nuts in a pan.
10. In another pan, sauté the remaining garlic clove in oil.
11. Add the tomatoes and cook for several minutes over high heat.
12. Pour in the reserved broth and allow to evaporate.
13. Add the shellfish flesh, then the shellfish still in their shells.
14. Cook the gnocchi in salted boiling water. Drain.
15. Transfer the gnocchi into the pan with the sauce and add the pine nuts and some chopped parsley to taste.
16. Combine well, then remove from the heat and serve with fresh rocket.