For the pastry:
• 3 cups self-raising flour
• 3 tbsp masala
• Juice and rind of 1 orange
• 1 tbsp melted butter
For the filling:
• 500g ricotta
• 1 egg
• 2 tbsp cinnamon
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 250g chocolate with almonds, broken into small pieces
• 2 egg yolks, beaten
• Glazed cherries, halved
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the pastry in a bowl (if the consistency is dry add a dash of milk).
3. Once mixed, remove a 1/4 of the pastry and set aside for decoration. Spread the rest out on a greased baking tray.
4. Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and then spread on top of the pastry.
5. Roll the reserved pastry into pencil-sized strips.
6. Place the strips diagonally across the filling in a lattice pattern.
7. Brush the egg yolks over the lattice strips.
8. Place the glazed cherries into each diamond-shaped space.
9. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
10. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for a further 35 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving (approximately one hour).