• 2L water
• 200g white rice
• 300g plain flour
• 300g guanciale (cured pig’s jowl) or pancetta, cut into strips
• 1 onion, finely diced
• Dried chilli
• 1½ kg crushed tomatoes
• Grated parmesan
1. For the sauce, start by lightly frying the guanciale in a little oil. After a few minutes add the onion and continue sautéing.
2. When caramelised, add the tomato, chilli, salt and a drop of water. Lower the flame, cover and continue to cook over a gentle heat.
3. Pour the rice into a pot of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes before adding the flour. Stir with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and continue stirring and cook for 30 minutes.
4. To serve, place a ladle of rice mixture on the base and top with the sauce.
5. Sprinkle over parmesan, if desired.