• 500g dried skinless fava (broad) beans
• 120g spaghetti, broken into pieces
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• 1 carrot, diced
• 1 celery stick, diced
• 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 clove of garlic, with skin
• Rosemary and fresh fennel fronds, finely chopped
• Salt and pepper
1. Thoroughly rinse the fava beans and soak them in cold water for 2 hours.
2. In a medium pot, sauté the carrot, celery, onion and garlic clove in the oil. Remove the garlic, stir in the fava beans which have been drained and sprinkle in the rosemary and fennel. Cover with water and cook with lid on over low heat until the beans have softened slightly. Stir occasionally to prevent beans from sticking to bottom of pan. Add warm water if needed.
3. When the mixture has reached a creamy consistency and the fava beans have reduced to small pieces, season to taste and add the spaghetti pieces. Continue to cook adding water if necessary until pasta is al dente, let stand for 5 minutes. Drizzle over a little olive oil, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.