The head of CONI, Giovanni Malagò, officially confirmed to Lombardy and Veneto governors, Attilo Fontana and Luca Zaia, that he had signed the application papers early on Monday.
“It is news that we expected – we are very happy and we will start working hard to make an application that will be approved by the International Olympics Committee,” Fontana said.
The announcement comes after a three-city bid also including Turin failed to go through last month.
Turin, host of the 2006 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games, withdrew following a disagreement with Milan, whose Mayor Giuseppe Sala demanded that his city lead the bid.
Turin mayor Chiara Appendino was appalled by CONI’s decision to go through with the two-way bid following the row.
“This candidacy is incomprehensible for us,” she said, according to The Local.
“They are going to have to build facilities where there are none - Turin was the least expensive option and whoever takes on this decision is going to have to explain themselves to the country.”
Malagò had previously said that following the loss of Turin, Italy wouldn’t make a two-way bid as it wouldn’t be financially backed.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will announce a shortlist of official candidates on October 8 in Buenos Aires.
The committee is due to name a host in 2019.